Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Tostadas

Without realizing it, Chris and I have been going quite a few nights a week without eating meat.  I'm hypoglycemic and used to always believe I had to have meat as my protein with my meal. I'm slowly realizing that I don't necessarily need meat and there are other ways to get protein to keep me full.... A few weeks ago I made tostadas for Chris and I.  The protein on them was Trader Joe's Fat Free Refried Beans and cheese, naturally.  Beans have a lot of protein in them and I am SLOWLY coming around to them.  So it's important to remember there are other ways to get your protein into your diet, and you don't always need chicken or beef.  Here's the recipe:

Fiesta Tostadas
4 corn tortillas (2 per person was definitely enough... I only ate 1 1/2)
1/2 cup Refried Beans
1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese
1 avocado
Salsa
1/2 Lime, juiced
Other toppings: lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, etc....

Preheat oven to 400 degrees on a foil lined baking sheet (this makes your clean up SO SO easy!!!). Spray both sides of tortillas with cooking spray. Cook about 5 minutes, flip, then another 5 minutes or until golden brown.


Heat refried beans in a microwave safe bowl.  Spread about 2 T of beans on top of each tortilla, top with about 2 T cheese.  Bake for 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted.


While cheese is melting, make guacamole!  Mix 1 avocado, salsa, and lime juice to taste.  Spread over tortilla and top with other toppings you want.  Enjoy!

This were so good and very easy to make... maybe about 20 minutes.  While the oven is heating up and the tortillas are baking you can get all the other ingredients ready.  This are very healthy too, as long as you don't over do it with the cheese.  I made these for Chris and I again the following week because we had leftovers, they were a big hit in our house!  Can't wait to make them again :)

No comments:

Post a Comment