Sunday, January 6, 2013

Goulash

As my husband said, "This is a good meal but the name is terrible!" So true... I grew up eating Goulash quite often.  I think it is a very german meal?  Not really sure.  Anyway, I was pretty excited to try it out myself.  After I made this recipe, I realized my mom has a recipe in the cookbook she made me a few years ago.  I will most definitely be trying Goulash again, but with my mom's recipe.  This is a very good recipe and fairly easy to make on a school night... it still took about an hour.  However, there was  a lot of down time while it was simmering.  Here's the recipe I tried which I cut in half from the original, and it still made a ton:

1/4 T Paula Deen's House Seasoning (This is just a little salt, pepper, and garlic powder...)
1 1/2 T Soy Sauce
2 Bay Leaves
1 T Italian Seasoning
15 oz Diced Tomatoes
15 oz Tomato Sauce
1 1/2 cups Water
2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
1 Onion, chopped
1 lb Lean Beef
1 tsp Seasoned Salt
1 cup Small Pasta, uncooked
1/2 cup Frozen Veggies

In a large pot, saute beef until no longer pink. Break up the meat while cooking.  Spoon out extra grease.  Add onions and garlic, saute until tender.  About 5 minutes.  

Add water, along with tomato sauce, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, bay leaving, soy sauce, house seasoning, seasoned salt.  Stir well.  Add veggies now.  Cook, covered, for 15-20 minutes.  

Add pasta, stir well and let simmer about 15-20 minutes (covered).

Turn off heat, remove bay leaves, let sit for 15 minutes.  Serve with a big salad and bread!  Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment