Sunday, December 9, 2012

Soup Season... Minestrone Soup!

***Beware, this recipe makes a TON of food! ***

We froze half of it, and it still gave us meals for about 3 days.  This Minestrone recipe is easy to make on any night of the week and it's very tasty!  It's not like minestrone that I've had before, but I like the flavor of this better than others that I have had.  I've been making a lot of soups this fall.  The weather has been just cold enough for soup and I've been loving it!  Anyway, here's the recipe!

Minestrone
1/2 medium Onion
2 stalks Celery, chopped
1/2 bulb Fennel (I did not use this, honestly because I didn't know what it looked like at the store and I didn't feel like asking... pathetic of me!)
2 medium Yukon Gold Potatoes, diced
2 cloves Garlic
1 T Olive Oil
35 oz. Whole Tomatoes, crushed lightly
15 oz Cannellini Beans, drained and rinsed
S&P
2 tsp Red Wine Vinegar
1 1/2 bunches Swiss Chard (I used spinach)
2 cups Small Pasta
Parmesan Cheese

Heat oil in pan.  Add onion, celery, fennel, potatoes, and garlic.  Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add tomatoes, beans, 2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp Pepper.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Stir in vinegar and spinach, season with S&P.

Prepare pasta in separate pot to al dente.  (I think you could cook the pasta in the soup too... it doesn't matter) Divide pasta into bowls, ladle soup over the pasta and garnish with cheese.  Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment