Thursday, December 27, 2012

Sesame Chicken

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!  And for those of you who don't celebrate, hopefully you've been enjoying your days off.  I still have a week left of break and I'm so thankful for it.  I love my students and I love going to work everyday, but I think everyone is in need of a break every once and a while.  I'm sure by next week I'll be ready to go back... but for now, I'm enjoying my time off!

I found this recipe on my favorite blog, Iowa Girl Eats, and it's very delicious.  When I worked at Hyvee in high school I would always get Sesame Chicken on my break.  In high school I didn't care, but now I know just how unhealthy it is for you.  I was pretty excited when she posted this recipe.  I love sesame chicken so much and had to try a healthier version.  I liked this a lot and I think Chris did too... it's always nice to have a healthy option of a food you really like.  Here you go:

Sesame Chicken
1/2 cup Rice (I used Jasmine Rice)
1/4 cup Honey
2 1/2 T Soy Sauce
2 T Sesame Seeds
1 Garlic Clove
1 Egg White
2 T Cornstarch
2 small Chicken Breasts, cut into 2'' pieces
S&P
1 T Veggie Oil
2 Green Onions, chopped
2 cups Broccoli Florets (I mixed in some green beans because Chris is not a fan of broccoli)

Cook rice according to package directions.  Meanwhile, combine honey, sesame seeds, soy sauce, and garlic together in a small bowl and set aside.  In a larger bowl, whisk together egg white and cornstarch until smooth.  Season chicken w/ S&P then add to egg white mixture and toss evenly to coat.

In a small saucepan, steam broccoli until crisp and tender-- about 5-8 minutes.

Heat oil in a large skillet, carefully add chicken.  Cook for 3-4 minutes per side, or until cooked all the way through.  Turn off heat and remove skillet from burner.  Add sauce and green onions to chicken, toss to combine.  Add broccoli.  Scoop mixture over cooked rice.


Very good and definitely a quick recipe to make on any night!  Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment